April 6, 2008

The Pitch

As you can see from my LinkedIn profile to the right, I am ushering myself into a new era of professionalism. Among my many professional endeavors, I am beginning to make inroads into the exciting arena of game development. A key part of the development process, I am told, is pitching your game ideas to studios and publishers. After some practice, I believe I am starting to get good at this. For instance, I know that if you want to be taken seriously as a professional, you need to use something called "Powerpoint". In fact, I have been writing all my game proposals in Powerpoint and I am starting to see a marked improvement in the quality of my ideas. I would like to share one of my pitches with you but I don't know how many people have Powerpoint on their computers. I came up with a solution that I think will make everybody happy.



































16 comments:

Chris said...

I really love the second half of this presentation. You hit all the big points: Re-use of content, a trilogy, double digit gameplay length, and you reference those sure-fire winners (HL, Halo, etc).

I can see this game getting made without even a single mention of the gameplay or setting. Genius.

jv said...

I genuinely laughed out loud. Glorious.

Chris said...

Favorite slide:

I get paid.



So much money.


That's when the boss asks how much you need to start, and signs a giant novelty check.

Stiv said...

Your Rashomon screencap is from Sword of Doom.

But I imagine this is how a pitch for anything has to go these days. It's going to be breakout like Spongebob!

Duncan said...

It's the wrong movie?? Oh man. This pitch gets worse and worse.

Anonymous said...

this wasn't funny, not even slightly. make another one, try again.

Anonymous said...

The powerpoint is so accurate its freightening, and funny. You did however forget a slide that throws a barrage of "cutting edge" industry terms in the viewers face. Such as,"Rashomon provides mid-high-core gamers innovative,procedual, organic, crowd based uncanney valleys." I would fund this Rashomon game!

Anonymous said...

I died laughing.


So many times.

Anonymous said...

3+3+3=9

9!= double digits.

I support insights like this is why I am still a programmer and have yet to achieve the elite position of designer or producer.

thecynicalgamer said...

Great post! Very funny stuff. Loved your picture usage (Sam & Max especially!)

Jesse said...

That's great - I especially love that PowerPoint convention of fading in each sentence, one after the other, almost as though you expect an audience to say 'ooooh' or 'aaaaah' after each one finally appears.

Unknown said...

I love how the sales dip a bit in FY97 and then jump back up in 98.

Nathan Edwards said...

The rig in your "NUANCE" slide, by the way, is CrimsonSky's Project Nighthawk, a pretty damn good piece of kit by any standard.

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha...very good! XD

Grassroots Gamemaster, said...

It's funny. But you have to take ownership of your own cynicism.

Charlotte Gyseman said...

Hahaha, I love it