May 29, 2008

The Vignette: Friday

The key hung from a thick cord anchored at his waist. Harrison idly rotated it between his thumb and forefinger; a distraction from his otherwise intense staring contest with the monitor.

"My nephew is going to a private school," said Harrison after a minute of absolute silence. "His parents were busy so last week I took him to the open day the school was having. It was fascinating. Do you have kids, Colonel? I liked it very much. It was a lot of fun to meet so many people, and not just the teachers and the faculty, but the parents too. I met a lot of really interesting people. And we just talked, you know, we shook hands and introduced ourselves and talked about our lives. I was networking, I was a networker. You never know who you're going to meet or who someone will turn out to be. You don't know what opportunities are going to come out of exchanging business cards or how a connection you made might prove useful in the future. And who knows, you could even meet a special lady! Just kidding. I'm engaged. I guess I just love meeting people! I can't get enough. Are we the only ones in the building right now?"

Anderson choked out a terse "Yes."

Harrison looked back at the monitor. It read: six.